I’m officially a winter warrior. First because I signed up for the Winter Warrior Half Marathon series. Second because I realized that I LOOOOVVVVEEEEE running in this nasty wintery Michigan weather. Seriously, I absolutely love it. I’m not sure if it’s the weird looks that I get, or the fact that when I pass someone running now I know that we’re both warriors.
BUT. I wanted to write a post telling you a few, weird, reasons why you should consider taking your run outside this winter.
1. Running through the snow can make your day. Seriously, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. I’m more likely to go outside to run if it’s snowing versus not. Not to mention it’s just pretty when it’s snowing.
2. You’ll never think your house is cold again. Well, maybe when you wake up.. but once you get back from a run in 20 degrees weather you house is now an oven. You’ll thank me when you realize this.
3. Showers are never better than when you’re using it to thaw out your body. So, I’m not going to lie, it IS cold some days. Some days are colder than others, obviously, but it is cold. But that post run shower is heaven sent. I may or may not double my time in the shower if it’s post cold run.
4. You’ll master the snot rocket. Oh yea, you know that’s attractive.. But let’s be honest, every runner needs to know how to do it.. and now you’ll have to.. plus there aren’t that too many people around to get in your way.
4. The looks on peoples face is SOO worth the run. I’ve been running a lot of my runs in the dark, so I can’t be 100% sure. However, I always think that they look at me, then to the thermometer in their car, then back at me in awe/disgust/amazement.
5. You get to buy all sorts of new running gear. Don’t have running tights? Need them. Don’t have cold weather long sleeves? Need them. Don’t have a reflective vest? Need it. Don’t have winter/trail shoes? Ok, so these are optional.. but the non-runners don’t need to know that.. aka: NEED THEM!